[OE-core] OE TSC Minutes 7 May 2013

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Wed May 22 08:31:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Jeff Osier-Mixon <jefro at jefro.net> wrote:
> OpenEmbedded Technical Steering Committee
>
> Attendees:
>   Koen (koen)
>   Khem (khem)
>   Fray (fray)
>   Paul (bluelightning)
>   Richard (RP)
> Apologies:
>
> Notes: Jefro
>
> Agenda at a glance:
>
> 1. pick a chair
> 2. new issues
> 3. lingering issues
> a. systemd merge unhappiness
> 4. projects in progress - status
> a. oe-classic recipe migration status
> b. oe-core release
> c. systemd into master
> d. meta-oe appends/overlayed recipes RFC
> e. 1.5 planning
> 5. infrastructure
> a. mailing list moving to YP server, in progress
> b. oe.org flooded
> 6. projects deferred
> a. raise awareness of "janitor" list, QA "bugs"
> b. document whitespace changes to the shell
> c. raise ntp with the Yocto Project [RP]

There are three issues I would like to comment on:

1. systemd migration:

>From what I see the only major step left over is to bury meta-systemd.
The only appends found there are those for oe-core. I asked for this
long time ago [1] and support was offered but...

2. indention:
Reading between the lines there is some unhappiness on meta-oe using
four spaces for shell and python code. I personally agree with Martin
here because I have not seen a technical reason for shell requiring
tabs so far. To me this looks like a style decision which increases
the burden to submit for low-skilled people like me. Could somebody
please enlighten me: For what technical reason do we need tabs in
shell code?

3. xserver-nodm-init oe-core vs. meta-oe
This is a long lasting issue and Martin commented on why there is a
different approach in meta-oe [2]. One blocker for progress is xinput
calibrator rework. Short story: I have a solution working here which
is capable of starting calibrator by udev/systemd and can be invoked
by an unprivileged user at any time. Unfortunately this solution has
still too many issues to be submitted and from what I see now I won't
find the time to fix them in the next future. So if anybody wants to
unify xserver-nodm-init - feel free. Users can add xserver.common to
images manually (and xinput calibrator is not really working anyway).

If I could I would add an additional item on the agenda:

gtk3-migration:
In meta-gnome we are working with terribly old gnome recipes. These
needed much backporting efforts to survive glib-2.36 / gcc 4.8 updates
- and I don't think this increases code quality in any way - so it is
more or less a useless effort which we will continue.

* Are there plans for a step-by step migration? A good starter would
be to solve libnotify 2/3 API issue. Is anybody else working on this /
thinking about?
* Are there plans to update gtk3 to 3.8.x to have wayland support?

Cheers

Andreas

[1] http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2013-January/073596.html
[2] http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2013-February/075336.html