[OE-core] Confusing Performance Numbers

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de
Wed Nov 13 14:02:10 UTC 2013

Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie-hQyY1W1yCW8ekmWlsbkhG0B+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org>
writes:

> I had some ideas I decided to test out. Specifically:
> Its very hard to figure out what in these tests might be noise and what
> if anything was a real gain (other than the disk usage improvements). I
> suspect the hardlinking patch may be worthwhile, the other two are
> perhaps not useful.

fwiw, we record performance data as part of our normal build process and
it should be possible to compare these statistics.  Results are e.g.

             https://www.cvg.de/people/ensc/metrics.txt.gz
             https://www.cvg.de/people/ensc/metrics.html

(there is much room to improve the visualization; a new colleague just
started to work on it).  Relevant changes/classes are

  https://www.cvg.de/people/ensc/metrics.py
  https://www.cvg.de/people/ensc/elito-metrics.bbclass
  https://www.cvg.de/people/ensc/0008-build.py-fire-TaskFailed-with-same-environment-as-Ta.patch

Enrico