[OE-core] Sanitized kernel headers

Peter Kjellerstedt peter.kjellerstedt at axis.com
Wed Oct 2 13:45:55 UTC 2013

In a recent commit
(http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/?id=c27ac156bcaf3193d52f456480947b0cfaef3c72),
Richard added a big warning about not forking the
linux-libc-headers recipe to get at specific kernel
headers for user space. As a consequence I thought I
should remove our fork of linux-libc-headers and instead
use the suggested method of including the needed files
from ${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR} in the recipes that need them.

However, I soon realized that what I need are the sanitized
headers that are generated by running "make headers_install"
in the kernel sources. So what I then did was to create a
simple bbclass that generates them for me and makes them
available for my recipe:

---- %< ------------- kernel-headers.bbclass --------------
DEPENDS += "virtual/kernel"

PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}"

inherit kernel-arch

KINCLUDES ?= "${WORKDIR}/kernel-includes"

do_compile_prepend() {
	mkdir -p ${KINCLUDES}
	oe_runmake -C ${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR} headers_install INSTALL_HDR_PATH=${KINCLUDES}
}

After that I could simply do 'inherit kernel-headers' and
'CFLAGS += "-I${KINCLUDES}/includes"' in my recipe to get
at the sanitized kernel headers.

But, it seems somewhat wasteful for each recipe that need
those headers to do that. Wouldn't it be an idea to provide
the sanitized headers in ${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR}/usr/include
(which would be the default path for make headers_install)
by default?

//Peter