[OE-core] Architectures with underscores in their names, how to handle that?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Oct 10 06:56:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 08:27 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on adding support for big-endian armv8 and the toolchain
> people decided that it should be named 'aarch64_eb'. That currently
> works in OE because there isn't a 'eb' override yet, but there might
> be one in the future.
>
> So my question is, how can I safely handle a name like this?

I suspect we'll just have to be careful never to add an "eb" override,
in much the same way as a 64 override would also cause problems for
x86_64. There is code in place to change the _ to - for package feed
use.

Longer term I'd like to see us find a better character for overrides
than the current use of "_" but that would be a fair bit of work to
achieve. I'd like to think that would performance as well as readablity
of .bb files but I've yet to prove it.