[OE-core] lttng-modules may trigger deadlock in the timekeeping subsystem with Linux <= 3.10.13, <= 3.11.2

Woegerer, Paul Paul_Woegerer at mentor.com
Tue Oct 15 06:59:43 UTC 2013

>>> http://git.lttng.org/?p=lttng-modules.git;a=commit;h=9998f5216f4641a79e158135c4c1658dcc6cd2d8
>>> http://git.lttng.org/?p=lttng-modules.git;a=commit;h=e14bf96416c39675a5f785b032d1c5279020b93d
>>>
>>> This is caused by a bug in the kernel that was introduced in 3.10. The
>>> problem is already fixed in Linux 3.10.14, 3.11.3 and 3.12. See:
>>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137894350929349
>>>
>>> lttng-modules 2.3.2 contains preprocessor-code that makes sure that
>>> building of lttng-modules fails for the unlucky combinations of kernel
>>> and lttng-modules. The problem is when we update our lttng-modules 2.3.0
>>> to 2.3.2 then we would have lttng-modules failing to build for our qemu*
>>> MACHINEs.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations on how we should address this ?
>>>
>> Probably just get Bruce to update linux-yocto-3.10 to 3.10.14, or pull
>> the specific commit that fixes it in.
> Precisely. And I already have all the -stable updates queued, it just needs
> to be 1.5.1, since I stopped sending updates to 3.10 for 1.5 proper a few
> weeks ago.

Bruce, as soon as you have updated linux-yocto-3.10 to 3.10.14 (or
later) I will send the patch that updates lttng-modules from 2.3.0 to
2.3.2. This will ensure we will have the checks from 2.3.2 in, so that
users of other bsps will get a compile time error if they are tring to
build a fatal combination of lttng-modules and kernel.

Thanks,
Paul

> This isn't severe enough to warrant any special handling outside of getting
> the -stable update into 1.5.1.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce
>
>> Tom
>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Paul

Paul Woegerer, SW Development Engineer
Sourcery Analyzer <http://go.mentor.com/sourceryanalyzer>
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Software Division