[OE-core] RFC: Using formfactor data in other recipes

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 16 13:50:27 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Andrea has been doing some cleanup on meta-handheld, and he and I have come
across what seems to be a bit of a shortcoming with formfactor over the
variable-based alternative that was used in OE-Classic (MACHINE_GUI_CLASS,
MACHINE_DISPLAY_WIDTH_PIXELS, MACHINE_DISPLAY_HEIGHT_PIXELS etc.). In
meta-opie, the latter variables are still being used in a machine-specific
packagegroup recipe to select the appropriate set of pixmaps to be installed
for each machine based on the screen resolution, so you don't have to have
pixmaps installed that you're never going to use (which would waste storage
space).

formfactor is the current method supported in OE-Core for representing
differences in machine display/input characteristics, however it seems only
queryable at runtime since its files are not written into the sysroot. We could
change it to stage to the sysroot, and therefore the data could be queried at
least at packaging time in other recipes that depend on formfactor. Does this
sound like a reasonable solution for this kind of problem, or is there a
better solution?

Cheers,
Paul

--