[OE-core] Using the correct "xserver-xf86-config_0.1.bbappend

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at emagii.com
Mon Oct 21 23:28:07 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-21 22:21, Khem Raj wrote:
> Ulf
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Ulf Samuelsson
> <openembedded-core at emagii.com> wrote:
>> Trying to build a systemd-gnome-image raspberrypi under Angstrom, with a few
>> extra layers.
>>
>> This fails on "xserver-xf86-config_0.1.[bb|bbappend]"
>>
>> The extra layer has BBPRIORITY = 20.
>> meta-beagleboard has BBPRIORITY = 8
>> meta-raspberrypi has BBPRIORITY = 6 (later changed to 120)
>>
>> BBLAYERS are in the order meta-<extra layer> meta-beagleboard
>> meta-raspberrypi
>>
>> It looks like bitbake will select the bbappend in the layer with the highest
>> priority,
> Not really. All bbappends are selected the order or sequence of them
> is governed by how the layers line up in BBPATH
Hm, it seemed to work if I increased the BBPRIORITY.

Either method seems to be problematic.

If you build for a certain machine, then you want to define which
bbappend to use
regardless of BBPATH or BBPRIORITY.

Maybe bitbake needs to know which meta-layer contains the <machine>.conf,
and always select a bbappend in that layer, over bbappends in other layers.

Otherwise you have to edit bblayer.conf every time you want to switch to
a new machine,
which I think is undesirable.

>> even if that contains a COMPATIBLE_MACHINE clause, which does not
>> include the current MACHINE.
>>
>> Is there any way to make bitbake select the correct bbappend file without
>> modifying the BBPRIORITY?
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Looks like the xserver-xf86-config for the raspberry-pi fails on
>>
>> SRC_URI_append_raspberrypi = " file://xorg.conf.d/*"
>>
>> When I change to:
>>
>> SRC_URI_append_raspberrypi = " file://xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf "
>>
>> the raspberry pi version completes.
>>
>> Wildcards are not allowed?
> This is a question of fundamental bitbake semantics/syntax for SRC_URI
> and nothing to do with bbappends. and I dont think wildcards in
> SRC_URI are reliable, so better be explicit about them.

Yes, since this problem occured at the same time,
I thought that I'd mention it as well.
Basically the any image build for raspberry pi involving X is broken then.
/Ulf