[OE-core] Mesa mess

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Wed Oct 23 17:13:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-23 08:07, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 23 October 2013 14:43, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> With the current master (Poky ffb440c37c), I can't build anything
>> with a virtual/mesa requirement.  This seems to bring in both mesa
>> and mesa-gl, which fight to the death, killing the build :-(
>
> Presumably you want just mesa-gl?
>
> I guess your distro is setting a preferred provider for
> virtual/something to mesa-gl, and something else is pulling in mesa,
> probably through a default.  Can you check that all of the
> mesa-related virtual/* lines are set in your distro, my hunch is that
> you don't have virtual/mesa set to mesa-gl.
>
> If the distro looks right then try using depexp to see what is pulling
> in mesa when it shouldn't be?

I looked through this and nothing was obvious.  According to depmod, neither
mesa nor mesa-gl have any direct "reverse depends", i.e. packages that depend
on them.  As far as I can see, it's just coming from the xserver-xorg dependency
on virtual/mesa.

Which led me to another experiment which I truly do not understand.  I removed
the mesa-gl recipe and now when I try to build 'virtual/mesa' I get a message
that there is no provider :-(  However, I *can* build mesa with no problems.
I also checked it against the other PROVIDES from mesa.inc and all of them
except for virtual/mesa work.  How can this possibly be?