[OE-core] Mesa mess

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Oct 24 00:57:41 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-23 11:18, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2013-10-23 11:13, Gary Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> Presumably you want just mesa-gl?
>>>
>>> I guess your distro is setting a preferred provider for
>>> virtual/something to mesa-gl, and something else is pulling in mesa,
>>> probably through a default.  Can you check that all of the
>>> mesa-related virtual/* lines are set in your distro, my hunch is that
>>> you don't have virtual/mesa set to mesa-gl.
>
> I also compared all of the PREFERRED_PROVIDERs between my build and a stock
> poky build and they are identical.
>

>>> If the distro looks right then try using depexp to see what is pulling
>>> in mesa when it shouldn't be?
>>
>> I looked through this and nothing was obvious.  According to depmod, neither
>> mesa nor mesa-gl have any direct "reverse depends", i.e. packages that depend
>> on them.  As far as I can see, it's just coming from the xserver-xorg dependency
>> on virtual/mesa.
>>
>> Which led me to another experiment which I truly do not understand.  I removed
>> the mesa-gl recipe and now when I try to build 'virtual/mesa' I get a message
>> that there is no provider :-(  However, I *can* build mesa with no problems.
>> I also checked it against the other PROVIDES from mesa.inc and all of them
>> except for virtual/mesa work.  How can this possibly be?
>
> To be clear, 'bitbake virtual/libgl' (or any of its friends except virtual/mesa)
> will cause 'mesa' to be built, but 'bitbake virtual/mesa' fails.

I found the cause :-)  In addition to OE-core, I am using meta-ti on an OMAP3 target.
In meta-ti, there is this line:
   meta-ti/recipes-graphics/mesa/mesa-omap3-common.inc:PROVIDES_omap3 = "virtual/libgl"
I added virtual/mesa to this list and it now builds again.  I'm not sure that this is
100% correct though.