[OE-core] u-boot-fw-utils -> u-boot-fw-utils-cross

Anders Darander anders at chargestorm.se
Fri Sep 13 19:29:34 UTC 2013

* Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br> [130913 21:16]:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Anders Darander <anders at chargestorm.se> wrote:
> > Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> >>Right.

> >>compile

> >>built

> >>Yes; this is intended to be used in the host. I can add support for
> >>use in target as well (or help you to do it).

> > Sorry that I didn't see this during the review of your patch that made this change. If u-boot-fw-utils-cross of intended to be used on the host, why did you then replace the old u-boot-fw-utils with this recipe?

> > The old u-boot-fw-utils were to create fw_printenv to be used on the _target_ not on the host. Unfortunately, I don't think this was ever mentioned during the patch review...

> Yes but this was a /bug/ in the build system. As it got HOSTCC so it
> was indeed to be used as /host/ not target.

Well, the fw_printenv is indeed mainly intended to be used on target...
Why the U-Boot maintainers insist on defaulting to use HOSTCC is a
completely different matter. I know that there's been quite a few mail
threads about that (and I've personally argued on this matter in at
least one of those threads). Thus, I don't agree with you that it was a
bug in the original recipe.

I'm doing the same thing in my patch, as I prefer to do it that way
instead of patching the Makefile.

> >>built

> >>Yes; the way to proper package it for target is from u-boot itself,
> >>not on this recipe.

> > Yep, so the commit log that makes the transition from u-boot-fw-utils to u-boot-fw-utils-cross should have mentioned that the purpose of those two packages are completely different.

> Right; I might not been clear on this.

> >>on

> >>on

> >>No, you are right. I can help you to solve it (or solve it and send
> >>you the solution) if you want.

> > I've got a working u-boot-fw-utils recipe that I can submit. I'll look into this on Monday morning, to ensure that it's of enough quality to publish.

> Ahh neat! So please e-mail me and I help to clean it.

I've made a quick clean-up and submitted a patch a few moments ago.
Hopefully, I might have some review comments by Monday, which hopefully
could get the patch to a mergeable state during Monday / Tuesday.

> > Just curious, what use case do you have for fw_* the build host?

> So we can mangle environment per image ;-)

Ok. I've never tried to do that using these tools. The only times I've
created env-images, I've been using an old TCL script based on the one
Atmel supplies in their SAM-BA tool...

Cheers,
Anders

--