[OE-core] image.bbclass: USE_DEVFS is now useless

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Tue Apr 1 17:48:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-01 at 18:44 +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 11:11 +0000, Matthieu CRAPET wrote:
>
> > Setting IMAGE_DEVICE_TABLE or IMAGE_DEVICE_TABLES to empty string in
> > an image recipe works (makedevs is not called)
> >

> > Should be we drop USE_DEVFS variable (meta/classes/image.bbclass) or
> > (re)add check in meta/lib/oe/rootfs.py?
>

> Having just tripped over this myself, I think we should re-add the
> check.   I was going to post a reply to the original patch submission
> email but for some reason I can't find it in either my inbox or the
> web archive.

Also note that the default for USE_DEVFS was (and is) 1, so the lack of
this check is actually causing a difference in the default behaviour.
If there's no appetite for reinstating the USE_DEVFS mechanism per se
then it seems like it would be a good idea to make the default
IMAGE_DEVICE_TABLE be blank in order to restore the previous default of
no /dev in the rootfs.

At present you get a somewhat arbitrary-seeming smattering of devices
from meta/files/device_table-minimal.txt, including such anachronisms
as /dev/ttySA0 and /dev/apm_bios.  It's hard to imagine that anybody
actually wants this stuff in their rootfs in this day and age.

p.