[OE-core] RFC: Removal of meta-initramfs layer

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 09:42:16 UTC 2014

Hi,

as maintainer of the meta-openembedded/meta-initramfs layer since its
creation I'm now thinking to merge it back in meta-handheld and remove
it from meta-openembedded.

The layer is atm a sort of middleware, providing klibc, kexecboot and
specific initramfs tools for the creation of small images: recently
dracut was added as well.

The intention was to allow other BSP layers to extend it and customize
the specific recipes but apparently only the meta-handheld layer is
using it so I'd be inclined to simplify the setup and remove the
intermediate layer.

Dracut should have a wider audience so it could be possibly moved to oe-core.

Please send your objections, if any: removal is planned after YP 1.6 release.

Thanks to all contributors.

Regards

Andrea