[OE-core] export TARGET_LDFLAGS and native sstate

Mike Crowe mac at mcrowe.com
Thu Apr 10 16:15:09 UTC 2014

On Monday 07 April 2014 at 17:49:51 +0100, Mike Crowe wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2014 at 09:17:38 -0700, Chris Larson wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Mike Crowe <mac at mcrowe.com> wrote:
> >
> > > We're building for both ARM and MIPS-based MACHINEs in a single source
> > > tree. This seems to result in us compiling (or luckily most of the time
> > > resurrecting from sstate-cache) two different versions of all -native
> > > packages due to different base hashes.
> > >
> > > It seems that this difference in base hashes is due to the exported
> > > variable TARGET_LDFLAGS being different between the two CPUs:
> > >
> > > < export TARGET_LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1  -Wl,--as-needed"
> > > ---
> > >

> > Heh, this i another case of a likely completely unnecessary export.
> > Software we build expects LDFLAGS to be used, not TARGET_LDFLAGS, so I
> > can't imagine that anything is using this export. Of course, it's
> > non-trivial to confirm that this is the case :)

My git archaeology shows that this dates from the very first import from
svn back in 2005. Back then it looks like it was necessary for
wpa_supplicant which used it in its defconfig file. This is no longer the
case.

I didn't look at any other layers.

> It did strike me as an odd thing to be exporting. Given the name I assumed
> it had something to do with building the toolchain. I notice though that
> the gcc recipes explicitly export LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET inside tasks based on
> TARGET_LDFLAGS anyway so the toolchain "should be fine". :)
>
> I'm happy to try our complete build without exporting TARGET_LDFLAGS as a
> first step but I realise that probably wouldn't be enough proof.

I've tested our build without the "export" in front of TARGET_LDFLAGS in
bitbake.conf and saw no problems at all so I'm in favour of doing that.

Would a patch for this be acceptable? It does cause the world to be
rebuilt. :(

Thanks.

Mike.