[OE-core] What does "QA Issue: ... rdepends on .. but its not a build dependency?" mean

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Sun Aug 3 14:02:43 UTC 2014

On 08/03/2014 03:51 PM, Alex J Lennon wrote:

> On 03/08/2014 14:25, Mike Looijmans wrote:
>> I'm getting lots of warnings like this:
>>
>> """
>> WARNING: QA Issue: enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-wirelesslan rdepends
>> on wireless-tools but its not a build dependency? [build-deps]
>> """
>>
>> What does it actually mean? What does it want me to provide here?
>>
>> The message in itself is correct. The package only has a runtime
>> dependency. It does not require the wireless-tools package to be built
>> or otherwise present on the build system. But what is the QA issue
>> here and how do I get rid of the message?
>>

> Surely if package B has a non-optional runtime dependency on package A
> then package A must be built and present on the target ?

Yes, I agree.

But that does not help me understand the message. What does it want me
to do here?

The message seems to suggest that package A must be in the DEPENDS list
for package B, which is definitely not the case here. Package B contains
some scripts and config files, and has an architecture of "all" and can
be built even way before the compiler and C libraries are present on the
build host. Package A however needs lots of other things, and will
likely start building much later than that.

--
Mike Looijmans