[OE-core] how does SCR_URI_OVERRIDES_PACKAGE_ARCH affect building tslib?

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Aug 8 14:25:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 3:35 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

>   looking at SRC_URI_OVERRIDES_PACKAGE_ARCH variable, and i notice
> first that there is only one usage of it in all of oe-core (tslib),
> but i'm confused as to what value it has.
>
>   the ref manual reads:
>
> "By default, the OpenEmbedded build system automatically detects
> whether SRC_URI contains files that are machine-specific. If so, the
> build system automatically changes PACKAGE_ARCH. Setting this variable
> to "0" disables this behavior."
>
>   first, i'm not sure what about the tslib SRC_URI appears to be
> machine-specific. also, just for fun, i commented out that line in the
> tslib .bb file, and did a global "bb show" to see what difference it
> made, and i saw no difference at all. so what exactly is the purpose
> of that line in that recipe? what difference should i be able to see
> with versus without it? thanks.

Any file:// file in an SRC_URI can become machine specific if placed in a
machine subdir in the search path. That said, I don't know why the
automatic behavior of setting package_arch in that case is something that
needs to be disabled for tslib. I'd suggest using git-blame to examine the
commits which added this variable.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com