[OE-core] Adding cgdb to meta

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue Aug 12 15:55:04 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12 August 2014 16:46, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>> > That layer is too big. It is nearly everything that is rejected from
>> meta;
>> > ok there are some dedicated layers, like meta-networking, but it feels
>> like
>> > the last resort shelter where everything can just be thrown at.
>> >
>> > I do not think it is just us who do not wanna pull it into their
>> project.
>> > Never mind, it remains to be a feature in our layer, which is closed
>> source,
>> > then. It is a pity, but I will move along.
>>
>> People who think its too big are welcome to copy recipes out of it and
>> sync them manually - that's still better than not sharing the recipe.
>>

> I am unfortunately not interested in participating to something that I
> have no intent to even test myself before submitting. meta-oe became a
> monster can which I personally would not like to deal with. That is said
> with due-respect. If its goal were reconsidered and split into several
> small layers, then mayhaps... But it is not there, and I am not sure if it
> was any soon...
>
> Unfortunately, this feature remains proprietary at the point of writing
> this. As long as it works for me, I will not be too much bothered, although
> I feel sorry for those who will need to reinvent the recipe, modulo
> stabilization.

But that is alright as long as everyone else finds the IMHO cumbersome
workflow with gdb OK for debugging. I think pleasant debugging is very
important for developers, and cgdb is still a command line based tool,
basically a thing wrapper on top of gdb with ncurses. It is not like "ddd"
and other heavy tools. That is why I thought with minor addition, meta
could be increase the software development experience; gdb is just way too
raw to be effective. But again, no one else might share this opinion, so
let us move on.

Here is a reminder screenshot for those who do not know it, just in case:
http://cgdb.github.io/images/screenshot_debugging.png