[OE-core] [RFC] Allarch and packagegroup improvement proposal

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 13:14:43 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 01:46:50PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> As some people are already painfully aware, the current way packagegroup
> and allarch interact with the sstate signatures is painful.
>
> Some example problem cases:
>
> * An allarch package of scripts with an interpretor dependency (e.g perl)
>
> * A packagegroup with dependencies on something which is debian renamed
>   e.g. build-essentials on libgmp
>

> Currently, packagegroups default to allarch and have their sstate
> dependencies truncated. This means that when something like gmp
> rebuilds, it can change package name thanks to debian renaming but the
> packagegroup referencing the old name remains, causing image creation
> failures.
>
> So the "obvious" fix is to stop truncating the dependencies? Well, that
> means that the allarch package is written out every time machine changes
> to a different arch.
>
> So we need to make packagegroups PACKAGE_ARCH specific? Well, this still
> doesn't solve the problem of allarch packages having ever greater
> problems with things like dependencies on perl.

Well then maybe that allarch package with perl dependency shouldn't be
marked as allarch.

> [...]
>

> For the second part, we could add something like:
>
> +    if bb.data.inherits_class('packagegroup', d) and bb.data.inherits_class('allarch', d):
> +        if set(deps) != set(new_depends):
> +            bb.warn("allarch packagegroup %s has renamed dependency %s" % (pkg, str(set(deps) ^ set(new_depends))))
>
> to runtime_mapping_rename in package.bbclass which tells us which
> packagegroups need to move to be PACKAGE_ARCH. Unfortunately, a quick
> run of OE-Core shows:
>
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-sdk has renamed dependency set(['libgomp', 'libgomp1'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-x11-base has renamed dependency set(['dbus-1', 'dbus'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target has renamed dependency set(['libgcc1', 'libgcc-s-dev', 'libstdc++', 'libc6-dev', 'libgcc-dev', 'libgcc', 'libc6', 'eglibc-dbg', 'libc6-dbg', 'eglibc-dev', 'eglibc-thread-db', 'eglibc', 'libthread-db1', 'libstdc++6'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target-dbg has renamed dependency set(['libgcc-s-dbg', 'eglibc-dbg', 'libc6-dbg', 'libgcc-dbg'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target-dev has renamed dependency set(['libgcc-s-dev', 'libc6-dev', 'libgcc-dev', 'eglibc-dev'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-x11-sato-base has renamed dependency set(['libsdl-1.2-0', 'libsdl'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-x11-sato-base-dbg has renamed dependency set(['libsdl-dbg', 'libsdl-1.2-dbg'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-x11-sato-base-dev has renamed dependency set(['libsdl-dev', 'libsdl-1.2-dev'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-sdk has renamed dependency set(['libgomp', 'libgomp1'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-x11-base has renamed dependency set(['dbus-1', 'dbus'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target has renamed dependency set(['libgcc1', 'libgcc-s-dev', 'libstdc++', 'libc6-dev', 'libgcc-dev', 'libgcc', 'libc6', 'eglibc-dbg', 'libc6-dbg', 'eglibc-dev', 'eglibc-thread-db', 'eglibc', 'libthread-db1', 'libstdc++6'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-x11-sato-base has renamed dependency set(['libsdl-1.2-0', 'libsdl'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target-dbg has renamed dependency set(['libgcc-s-dbg', 'eglibc-dbg', 'libc6-dbg', 'libgcc-dbg'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target-dev has renamed dependency set(['libgcc-s-dev', 'libc6-dev', 'libgcc-dev', 'eglibc-dev'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-buildessential has renamed dependency set(['libstdc++', 'libstdc++6'])
> WARNING: allarch packagegroup packagegroup-core-buildessential has renamed dependency set(['libstdc++', 'libstdc++6'])
>
> so we do have the problem in a number of places.

I'm in favor of removing default allarch and setting correct
PACKAGE_ARCH manually in the packagegroup recipes like we do elsewhere.

packagegroups are small and "rebuilt" quickly, so I don't mind
"building" them once per TUNE_PKGARCH or even once per MACHINE_ARCH like
we do for couple of them already.

I can even find few changes from me on ML which do exactly that.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com