[OE-core] [RFC] Allarch and packagegroup improvement proposal

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Aug 19 11:23:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-19 at 12:41 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Op 18 aug. 2014, om 17:35 heeft Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> het volgende geschreven:

> >> Take a step back and think about this from the end user system
> >> perspective. The packages are all identical for each architecture,
> >> "perl" doesn't change name.
> >>
> >> To me that means the correct end result is such a package should be
> >> "allarch" in the package feeds.
> >>
> >> The question then becomes, how do we generate such things in a sane way.

> >> It does seem a bit of a cop out to do this on the grounds that its
> >> small/fast :/.
> >>
> >> I agree there is good reason why some should be PKGARCH but we can
> >> probably do better than just marking them all that way IMO. I think we
> >> should try and mark them correctly too, i.e. think about whether the
> >> packages really are identical and/or make sense as allarch and try and
> >> avoid duplication if so.
> >
> > I also have one other idea. We could adjust debian.bbclass so that it
> > adds an RPROVIDES for the original package name. We could then instruct
> > packagegroups specifically not to adjust the naming for debian renaming.
> >
> > This would mean that the packagegroups would know the dependencies by
> > their non-debian, unversioned name.
> >
> > Would that work for people?
> >
> > I'm torn on the idea right now but thought I'd share it.
>
> What happens in the following situation:
>
> foo.bb generates foo.ipk (/usr/bin/foo) and libfoo5.ipk
> (/usr/lib/libfoo.so.5), will libfoo5 RPROVIDE 'foo', 'libfoo' or
> something else?

libfoo

Its very unlikely someone would write a package which the namespaces
conflicted in the way we use things currently.

The other related question is whether we should be doing automatic
remapping in RPROVIDES/RREPLACES/RCONFLICTS ?

Since at the moment if we put libfoo into RPROVIDES, it gets mapped to
libfoo5 by the remapping code...

I have patches which make various things work, I'll probably post them
and people can see what they think.