[OE-core] core-image-full-cmdline build failure

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Tue Aug 19 11:42:29 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm getting consistent failures trying to build core-image-full-cmdline with an
up-to-date oe-core (d0be4b3) and bitbake (38d4f65). The useradd commands for
rpcbind and openssh-sshd are running before the base-passwd package has been
installed and so are not finding /etc/passwd.

I've hacked together a local fix for this by modifying the do_rootfs command to
install base-passwd before installing other packages. If this is a common
failure and it's not just me seeing it, would it be worth expanding the package
types listed in the install manifest? Currently we have 'mip' for must install
package, 'aop' for attempt only, etc. If we need to ensure certain packages are
installed first, perhaps we could add something like 'ep' for early package.

Looking into the rpcbind package, the useradd commands are performed in a
preinst script so I don't think the problem is opkg running the script too
early. Do other package managers guarantee that a package's dependencies are
installed before the preinst script is ran? If so, I may need to re-order things
within opkg. If not, I think the above solution of listing certain packages for
early installation would be best.

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker