[OE-core] implicit renaming of packages containing libraries

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Aug 27 16:23:07 UTC 2014

On 16 August 2014 15:09, Peter A. Bigot <pab at pabigot.com> wrote:
> Is this intentional?  Is it documented somewhere?  I wouldn't be terribly
> upset if lmsensors-libsensors got renamed to lmsensors-libsensors4 because
> Debian policy expects the SO number to be part of the name, but it's weird
> to have the owning package stripped off like this.

Yes, it's intentional.
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#ref-classes-debian
is the documentation, it's quite sparse and could be expanded but does
cover the basics.

Some recipes - eg mesa - override the renaming because they want the
origin recipe to be part of the name.

(FWIW, Debian has a source package lm-sensors but the library is libsensors4)

Ross