[OE-core] [BUG] Openssh not closing connections on service stop

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 3 00:13:09 UTC 2014

On 11/27/2014 09:06 AM, Diego wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to share with you what I consider a bug.
>
> I've generally noticed in my Linux experience that I get automatically
> disconnected from an ssh session if the ssh host gets shutdown or rebooted
> with the message:
> Connection to x.y.w.z closed by remote host.
> Connection to x.y.w.z closed.

Well this is because the machine is actually shut down or halted,
therefore all processes get killed regardless, this is not necessarily a
function of stopping the daemon

> This doesn't seem to happen on my OSes built on core-image-minimal with
> openssh support.
>
> Moreover I noticed that if I stop the ssh service:
> # /etc/init.d/sshd stop
> my ssh connections don't get dropped, I can continue using ssh session like
> nothing happened. I can even see the connection process still up and running:
> # ps | grep ssh
>   1790 root      4568 S    /usr/sbin/sshd
>   1848 root      4852 S    sshd: root at pts/0
>   1886 root      2896 S    grep ssh
> # /etc/init.d/sshd stop
> Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshdstopped /usr/sbin/sshd (pid 1790)
> .
> # ps | grep ssh
>   1848 root      4852 S    sshd: root at pts/0
>   1894 root      2892 S    grep ssh
>
> Isn't service termination supposed to stop all related connections at the same
> time? Can anybody else reproduce (or not) this issue?

It may actually be designed to work this way, since the daemon spawns a
process for each login the daemon can be restarted on a headless or
server type machine and not loose the connection, based on googling, I
could not find this outright on the Openssh.com site.

It appears that the dropbear sshd also has the behavior.

So I would not call this a bug.

Sau!