[OE-core] [RFC] kernel: Enable externalsrc on kernels which instantiate kernel.bbclass

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 13:12:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2014 13:04:47 Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On 14-09-22 01:03 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

>> > no, it cant work if folks were trying the usecase I have mentioned.
>> > The fix is infact for
>> > non linux-yocto kernels.
>>
>> I'll send out my updated patch shortly, it should fix both cases.
>
> Bruce, did you get around to doing this?
>
> At the moment I am trying to make my workflow tool ("devtool modify") work with
> linux-yocto. I've at least got to the point where I can extract the
> appropriate source from the recipe, but when I use externalsrc to point to it
> and then try to build it, it doesn't even get past do_configure, so something
> must be missing (make complains about missing targets, presumably because it's
> running in ${B} and there's nothing in that directory).

I do have an updated patch that I've been carrying in my tree, but it
still is too
large, with too  many touches to be ready. Finishing it was in my 1.8 tasks, and
I've been working with it as part of my kernel developer changes. I can probably
fire something out by end of week (I haven't tested it in over a week, so it is
likely broken again).

> Do you expect linux-yocto + externalsrc to work at the moment in master? If
> so, are there any special steps I need to do with respect to preparing the
> external source tree that my tool might not be performing?

Let me check, and get back to you on that.

Bruce

> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> --