[OE-core] "qemu-arm udevadm hwdb --update" eats swap space after build host update to openSUSE 13.2

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Tue Dec 16 08:36:25 UTC 2014

On 15.12.2014 17:19, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Steffen Sledz <sledz-mQBY8sqGERgRVMum7q6B+Q at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> The first thing we observed was that the do_rootfs stage made a very
>> big load (more than 500) on the machine but the cpu's aren't working
>> for 100%. I could track down the problem to the call
>> which eats swap space without end till the system crashes (more than 100GB swap space ist available).
>>
>> I've no idea how to inspect this problem further. Any ideas?
>
> I had a similar issue when /var/tmp in the rootfs was an absolute symlink
> pointing to toplevel /var/tmp which contained some millions of files.
>
> Can you look (lsof) which files are open by qemu?

Crazy! This really seems to be the problem.

I had a big subtree from earlier local openSUSE Build Service runs below toplevel /var/run. After deleting this the build succeeds.

But manually deleting such files before running OE builds cannot really be a reasonable solution. :(

--
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Otto-Schmirgal-Str. 3, 10319 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 30 515932-237 mailto:sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 30 515932-299
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Weber, Werner Mögle;
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg; HRB 130120 B;
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058