[OE-core] Merging problems

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 03:38:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-12-20 at 21:04 -0500, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

>> > Looks like I spoke too soon:
>> >
>> > https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-x86/builds/132/steps/BuildImages_1/logs/stdio
>>
>> Amazing how those race conditions pop out on the builders .. I probably
>> built this 100 times, and never managed to trigger these.
>
> We also have one more:
>
> https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/main/builders/nightly-ppc/builds/134/steps/Running%20Sanity%20Tests/logs/stdio
>
> On target module building for ppc fails.
>
>> > which seems to be a race over the kernel source directory. I'm guessing
>> > the file in question is a temporary build artefact of lttng-modules
>> > which was running at the same time? Any way we can avoid temp files in
>> > the kernel source dir?
>>
>> Hmm. The modules should already have their output directory set to their
>> own source (not the kernel), so they really shouldn't be dropping down
>> any temp files.
>>
>> I was only using the cpio method to copy the source since that is what
>> was already being used .. and it is a bit faster. The stat of the
>> files to the pipe is what is catching us here.
>>
>> The question is .. do we really care ? A straight copy of the files wouldn't
>> be so sensitive to this, or we could explicitly exclude then in the
>> existing cpio pipe. That would buy some time to track down what is
>> touching down the tmp file in the kernel build process, and I can't see
>> how the dual use of that staged directory will cause us a problem on
>> the copied kernel source side (we do clean things up before packaging).
>
> Well, I think we need to get to the bottom of this. I made some
> experiments. The best results were from hacking scripts/Kbuild.include
> where these .tmp files get created, I hacked it not to remove them.

back online after a 10 jaunt in the car.

I definitely agree that we needed to understand and fix this .. just that
I would be away from my keyboard for about 24 hours, so putting something
in place for the short term was the thought.

> When you do that, it becomes clear that do_make_scripts is the task
> which is causing the problem.
>
> The world has changed since we last visited the scripts problem, we
> could move that task to the main kernel build now and have the modules
> and kernel-devsrc depend on it? The function in module.bbclass would
> then become a placeholder?

We can do that, and it makes sense there. Since both have a dependency
on them being created .. moving it to a single place solves our issue and
I don't see a bad side effect of the move.

Bruce

> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>

> --