[OE-core] RFC: systemd version - release or git?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Feb 19 10:54:50 UTC 2014

As anyone looking at the autobuidler will know, we've been having a lot
of issues with instability with systemd tests under qemu.

I believe these are real world issues, most likely races in systemd
itself.

The last release of systemd, 208 was five months ago. There have been a
ton of changes since including many bug fixes.

Fedora 20 uses systemd 208 (the last release) with 200+ patches on top.

I'm therefore wondering if we shouldn't bite the bullet and add a git
recipe rather than trying to patch 208 into some form of life.

The proposal is therefore to add a more recent git recipe and make that
the default.

I have such a patch in master-next. I've debugged the toolchain issues,
missing kernel config and other issues with systemd master, it always
now seems to pass the autobuilder tests. I need to check on one
remaining automated QA test result to ensure its not a regression in
systemd.

Any objections to defaulting to a git version?