[OE-core] RFC: systemd version - release or git?

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Wed Feb 19 11:32:18 UTC 2014

Op 19 feb. 2014, om 11:54 heeft Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> het volgende geschreven:

> As anyone looking at the autobuidler will know, we've been having a lot
> of issues with instability with systemd tests under qemu.

A number of those were (are?) caused by kernel config issues, like CONFIG_FHANDLE missing, have those been addressed?

> I believe these are real world issues, most likely races in systemd
> itself.
>
> The last release of systemd, 208 was five months ago. There have been a
> ton of changes since including many bug fixes.
>
> Fedora 20 uses systemd 208 (the last release) with 200+ patches on top.
>
> I'm therefore wondering if we shouldn't bite the bullet and add a git
> recipe rather than trying to patch 208 into some form of life.
>
> The proposal is therefore to add a more recent git recipe and make that
> the default.
>
> I have such a patch in master-next. I've debugged the toolchain issues,
> missing kernel config and other issues with systemd master, it always
> now seems to pass the autobuilder tests. I need to check on one
> remaining automated QA test result to ensure its not a regression in
> systemd.
>
> Any objections to defaulting to a git version?

In meta-oe we used to build systemd from a git tag instead of tarball release and ran into the usual gtk-doc and docbook problems. Can you build systemd git without docbook dtds installed on the buildhost?

If the docbook issues have been fixed I have no objection to adding a git recipe. I poked Lennart at FOSDEM about v209 and he said they need to fix some issues in kdbus and networkd first before making a release, "hopefully soon".

Speaking of networkd, any idea if our connman is recent enough to support networkd -> connman handover?

regards,

Koen