[OE-core] No versioning for existing images

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Feb 24 12:01:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I was wondering why existing images would not have version numbers
attached. Say, we have a core-image-minimal image, but from the
recipe, it is not possible which image version it is.

Perhaps, it is just my ignorance and lack of understand, but for the
moment, it seems to be an important information for e.g. distribution
vendors and image creators to have an image version and the
corresponding packages and versions attached to that particular
version.

It is easier to do a software upgrade then if you wish to do that
based on the information of a certain image variant. I mean, it will
lead to more manageable and reproducable images.

It is possible that I am not aware of something important, so please
enlighten me. It would be nice to see how other OE users do a system
upgrade.

For instance, the MeeGo Nokia phone had a software version information
in the settings, and that is something I would personally consider as
the image version, but again, there might be better ways. Please share
good practices in here., or alternatively, feel free to point me to
any documentation, examples, etc.

Cheers, L.