[OE-core] No versioning for existing images

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Feb 24 15:12:00 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> I was wondering why existing images would not have version numbers
> attached. Say, we have a core-image-minimal image, but from the
> recipe, it is not possible which image version it is.
>
> Perhaps, it is just my ignorance and lack of understand, but for the
> moment, it seems to be an important information for e.g. distribution
> vendors and image creators to have an image version and the
> corresponding packages and versions attached to that particular
> version.
>
> It is easier to do a software upgrade then if you wish to do that
> based on the information of a certain image variant. I mean, it will
> lead to more manageable and reproducable images.
>
> It is possible that I am not aware of something important, so please
> enlighten me. It would be nice to see how other OE users do a system
> upgrade.
>
> For instance, the MeeGo Nokia phone had a software version information
> in the settings, and that is something I would personally consider as
> the image version, but again, there might be better ways. Please share
> good practices in here., or alternatively, feel free to point me to
> any documentation, examples, etc.

You can have a product-version recipe which populates it based on the
information you need (write it in a file in /etc and change PV as
need). That way you can even track this using buildhistory. We do it
for several products and it works quite well.

All the need structure for it to work is avaiblue, just make the
recipes in your product layer.