[OE-core] RFC: Separate build dir for autotools

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 19:11:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 04:27:04PM +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 17:09 +0100, Martin Jansa wrote:
> > >
> > > That list is opt-in and mainly covers oe-core, so this gets tested
> > > every time the YP autobuilder does a world build.  We need a meta-oe
> > > world build where autotools.bbclass sets B="${WORKDIR}/build": it's
> > > literally just this one-line patch.
> >
> > But doesn't cover oe-core built with different combinations for
> > PACKAGECONFIGs, .bbappends etc, so including this file in
> > defaultsetup.conf can still reveal few issues in oe-core recipes.
>
> Patch out for testing, I'll merge it if nobody objects...

I've added it to my world builds as soon as you sent it.. but only 1
architecture was finished since then :/

Is it supposed to work correctly in incremental builds? Today I've seen
couple of components failing in do_configure and building fine after
manual clean, interesting part of log is that autotools.bbclass was
actually trying to clean them:

Previously configured separate build directory detected, cleaning
/OE/../oprofileui-server/0.0+gitAUTOINC+f168b8bfdc-r0/build
..
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first
Configure failed. The contents of all config.log files follows to aid debugging
/OE/../oprofileui-server/0.0+gitAUTOINC+f168b8bfdc-r0/git/config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by oprofileui configure 0.2.0, which was

The working version also has:
configure.ac:5: warning: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE: two- and three-arguments forms are deprecated.  For more info, see:
configure.ac:5: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Modernize-AM_005fINIT_005fAUTOMAKE-invocation
configure.ac:8: installing './compile'
configure.ac:5: installing './install-sh'
configure.ac:5: installing './missing'
protocol/Makefile.am: installing './depcomp'

I've seen similar behavior in 3 other components.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com