[OE-core] Qt in OE-core

Trevor Woerner trevor.woerner at linaro.org
Tue Jan 7 18:27:22 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

question:
Should some version of Qt be included in openembedded-core, or should
all recipes to add Qt be part of their own version-specific Qt layer?

background:
openembedded-core[1] used to include recipes for Qt3, but as Qt3 became
old these recipes were replaced with Qt4 and the Qt3 support was broken
out into its own layer[2]. We're now at a point where Qt4 is getting old
and Qt5 is "current". At some point we'll have to replace the Qt4
support in [1] with support for Qt5. But we expect users will still want
to use Qt4, so if the Qt4 support in [1] is replaced by support for Qt5,
the Qt4 support will need to be broken out into its own layer. Qt5
support is currently being developed on it's own layer[3].

This email thread is *not* to discuss when we should replace Qt4 with
Qt5, then question is: should [1] include *any* Qt support, or should Qt
be always in its own layer to be added as required by the distribution?

If we decide [1] should provide some Qt support, then we can discuss
when we should replace the Qt4 support with Qt5 in [1]. But for now it
would be nice to reach a consensus on whether or not [1] should include
any Qt support at all or if it wouldn't just be easier to always have Qt
support in its own version-specific layers to be added as required (if
needed) by the distribution configuration.

Thanks for your feedback.

[1]
http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layer/openembedded-core/
[2] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layer/meta-qt3/