[OE-core] What package installs a C compiler on my target?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Jan 8 15:17:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 16:05 +0100, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> On 01/08/2014 02:50 PM, Philip Balister wrote:
> > On 01/08/2014 08:24 AM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> >> Probably a silly question that has been asked a thousand times, but my
> >> searches on Google only give me the answer to the wrong question (how to
> >> build FOR the target, which I already know how to do).
> >>
> >> I want to run the C compiler on the board itself. That is, a GCC that
> >> runs on the board and compiles (and links etc.) C code for that board.
> >>
> >> What package(s) do I need to build and install to accomplish this?
> >
> >  From one of my images:
> >

> > IMAGE_FEATURES += "splash ssh-server-openssh tools-sdk \
> > tools-debug debug-tweaks \
> > dev-pkgs dbg-pkgs \
> > "
> > looks like tools-sdk is the one you want. dev- and dbg- packages might
> > also be helpful, but will make the image larger. Especially the debug ones.
>
> $ bitbake tools-sdk
> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'tools-sdk'
>
> So I guess it's a package that's provided in another layer (I have oe-core and
> most of meta-oe).
>
> So far, the following set I've derived through trial and error seems to come
> close:
>
> TARGET_COMPILER_TOOLS = "\
>      binutils \
>      binutils-symlinks \
>      cpp \
>      cpp-symlinks \
>      g++ \
>      g++-symlinks \
>      gcc \
>      gcc-symlinks \
>      make \
>      packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target \
> "
>
> This allows a basic "hello world" to compile on target in C and C++ code. Make
> wasn't really required, but it's very convenient to have...
>
> I'm mostly surprised that there wasn't a packagegroup to contain this set.
>
> It increased the image size to about 130MB, but in this particular case, that
> won't be a problem.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the tips all. Guess this list may be useful to others...

Philip was correct in that its an IMAGE_FEATURE, not something you
bitbake. The code in question basically triggers:

core-image.bbclass:PACKAGE_GROUP_tools-sdk = "packagegroup-core-sdk packagegroup-core-standalone-sdk-target"

which are indeed similar to your list above and the package groups do
exist...