[OE-core] Piglit in Poky

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Jan 8 16:09:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

Despite a good start this thread got rapidly hijacked, so let's try again!

On 24 December 2013 01:09, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
>> 1) Move piglit and deps to oe-core.  Piglit is for QA purposes only
>> and pushes the boundaries of "core platform".  In a sense this is a
>> repeat of the discussion we had with Midori...  does oe-core contain
>> everything needed to sufficiently exercise the core components it
>> ships or not?
>
> I expect Richard will push back on this, and I would support him here.

Probably best to let Richard speak for himself here. :)

>> 2) Add piglit and deps to meta-yocto.  Probably a new layer called
>> meta-yocto-qa (or similar) because the Yocto Compatible guidelines
>> forbid mixing distribution policy and recipes.  We'd need to sync
>> meta-yocto-qa with the pieces of meta-oe that we want somehow, but
>> that's our problem.
>
> So meta-yocto is right out. I'm a user of numpy, and I certainly do not
> want to include something called meta-yocto-qa just to pick up numpy.

Right, so my point with the syncing was that this meta-yocto-qa layer
would be a copy of recipes from other places through combo-layer, and
would be clearly marked as such.

Reviewing the options:

1) Add python-mako, python-numpy, waffle and piglit to oe-core, for
all BSPs to use.
2) Add python-mako, python-numpy, waffle and piglit to meta-yocto
(effectively read-only clones with combo-layer, maintained in meta-oe
still) for Poky to use.
3) Add meta-python layer to Poky, and waffle/piglit to meta-yocto
(read-only clones) for Poky to use.

Paul raises a good point about other BSPs potentially using Piglit to
test their GL stacks.  Do any other BSPs test their GL integration,
and if so what tooling to they use?  I'm only pushing for Piglit
because it's what the Intel driver team use to test Mesa, but if
nobody else wants to use it then that's an argument for keeping it in
Poky (or even cloning it into meta-intel?).

Ross