[OE-core] bug scrub - RFC

Trevor Woerner trevor.woerner at linaro.org
Thu Jan 9 15:07:19 UTC 2014

On 01/09/14 05:56, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> On 08/01/14 23:20, Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> questions:
>> 1) Currently it has been suggested this should be a 2-day event, should
>> these two days be during the week or over a weekend? In either case,
>> which 2 days?
>>
> If it's two days long then why don't you do the best of both worlds and
> have a Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday combination?

I was thinking of doing it either fully during the week, or fully on a
weekend since my feeling is that most people either work with OE/Yocto
during the weekdays or on the weekend. There's nothing to say we
couldn't run this "bug scrub" during the week, then run a second "bug
scrub" 2 months from now on a weekend (or visa versa).

>> 2) Since this is an OE event, should it focus only on OE bugs[2], or
>> should it be generalized for any bug?
> I don't think we should be limiting people to what they can work on
> while "participating".

Since this is an OE TSC event I didn't want any hard feelings ;-) I also
thought that maybe it would be easier to get people interested if this
"bug scrub" was targeted at a specific project. I thought there's a
chance it might help get people interested if we said "let's have a bug
event where we target these 30 bugs" instead of saying "there are 1000's
of bugs in the bugzilla, pick one and try to do something about it".

>> 4) It would be cool to be able to provide incentives to help people get
>> interested and contributing to knocking some bugs around. So if anyone
>> (*cough* Intel) has any neat hardware (*cough* Galileo, Edison) they
>> could offer as an incentive (or, conversely, if there's a board you'd
>> like to see Yocto target) please see about making that happen.
>>
> A unified effort towards a "new trendy" board would be a fun goal, but I
> worry that hardware teething issues would then eat up run of the mill
> bug fixing time, handouts for participation however, (bug fixed/reviewed
> by/tested by) would be a great idea.

Sorry, yes, this is what I meant.