[OE-core] unmaintained layers

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 10 14:01:21 UTC 2014

On Thursday 09 January 2014 13:45:23 Trevor Woerner wrote:
> At the last TSC meeting the topic of unmaintained layers came up. Here
> is the sorted list of master layers from the layer index [1], would it
> be possible for those in the know to indicate which layers are, or are
> suspected of being, unmaintained?

This is all very interesting with people piping up that their layers are
maintained, but I'm not sure it helps solve the overall problem.

We have some immediate issues with patches to particular layers going
unmerged. That's in the process of being resolved.

However, looking to the future it was suggested at the TSC meeting it would be
nice to have some kind of measure or indication for the layer (ideally in the
layer index) as to how well-maintained it is. Is there a practical and
objective measurement we can have about the layer's maintenance status? I
don't have a good idea of what this would actually mean - how many outstanding
patches it has? How recently it has been built/tested?

Also, if it does appear that a layer has gone "unmaintained" by popular
consensus, what should actually be done about it?

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton