[OE-core] RFC: Maintain backwards compatibility or not for module-base.bbclass

Peter Kjellerstedt peter.kjellerstedt at axis.com
Fri Jan 17 13:53:59 UTC 2014

I will aggregate my responses to Koen, Bruce and Phil below.

I think that is exactly what the reverted change Bruce mentions
below did.

> regards,
>
> Koen

As long as they inherit module (and not add task dependencies on
do_make_scripts) they should not be affected. It is only if you
inherit module-base directly and expect the do_make_scripts()
function to exist that you are affected.

> Speaking of that, we through something like this late last year
> with automatically restoring the scripts into the sysroot, which
> ended up being reverted:
>
> see b2c948d56241ff7cdea2e9e68b740f305c72f5ca in oe-core
>
> At least the module (and your scripts) class avoid the sstate
> problems and compiler dependencies that we hit with that solution.

Interesting. It looks like it would have been a good solution
if it had worked...

> What are the alternatives to more classes, isn't this something
> that could be a .inc routine ? And modules simply includes it, and
> you can do the same .. but I suppose a .inc versus a class inherit
> is largely semantics in the difference.

Tbh, I think keeping it as a class makes it more straight forward.
And class or include file is merely semantics.

> bottom line, my rambling says that backwards compatibility matters
> here, and that if we can avoid a new class, that would also be a
> good thing.

But I think that it should be easy enough for any external party
to adopt to the new class if they do indeed have a direct
dependency on module-base and expecting to find do_make_scripts()
there. It is not like we would change it in the middle of Dora
anyway. Thus I advocate for the change above on the kernel-headers
branch that does not maintain backwards compatibility.

> Cheers,
>
> Bruce

Well, that is basically what my backwards compatible branch above
does. However, it introduces two new classes since it needs to
maintain the split between where the addtask is done and the
actual function.

> That said, though, I don't think there is any pressing need to
> maintain backwards compatibility around module-base.bbclass.  In
> fact, I think it would probably be fine for module-base.bbclass
> to simply go away altogether and have its functionality subsumed
> into module.bbclass; the split between those two classes is
> mostly a relic of yesteryear and I can't think of any good
> purpose that it serves nowadays.  So I would be happy enough to
> see that (and the tangly mess that is the kernel classes in
> general) cleaned up irrespective of what happens with
> do_make_scripts.

I won't argue with that. However, I do not feel that I am
comfortable enough about these classes to do it. I had a quick
look around in OE core, and I believe you are right. The number
of references to "module-base" were limited, and in most cases
it should just be a matter of replacing them with "module".

> p.

//Peter