[OE-core] Berkeley DB fails to build

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Thu Jan 23 19:01:18 UTC 2014

On 23 January 2014 17:54, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
> On 01/23/2014 06:51 AM, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed that since the C++ bindings for the berkeley DB were included
>> in commit 23f29027db73d5759889b48fabdea7f6173217a7 , I cannot build db
>> anymore.
>> The error is:
>>
>>     /usr/lib/libstdc++.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>>
>> this is the offending part in the log.do_compile file:
>
> What distro is your build machine running? I've this from people using
> Arch Linux.

I've tracked this down to libtool replacing '-lstdc++' with an
explicit reference to '/usr/lib/libstdc++.so' before it runs ld. So
it's libtool not ld at fault here. I did look at the recipe for
Berkeley db and spotted that it overrides do_configure, allowing the
shipped copies of libtool and related files to be used rather than
running the autoreconf stuff that replaces them. That's my
understanding at least.

At that point I ran away and reverted the commit in question locally
as libtool terrifies me and I don't need the c++ bindings myself!

Sorry I can't be more help but I hope that points someone in the right
direction.

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk