[OE-core] two variations for distro-specific FILESEXTRAPATHS prepending

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jul 16 19:26:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014, Christopher Larson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 4:26 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>         just ran across this in the meta-yocto layer but it's a general OE
>       question -- the psplash_git.bbappend file contains the following
>       distro-conditional line:
>
>         FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend_poky := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>
>       and the accompanying files/ directory has, unsurprisingly, a
>       poky-specific splash image file, "psplash-poky-img.h".
>
>         but based on how FILESEXTRAPATHS is processed by incorporating all
>       of the FILESOVERRIDES variations (one of which is the distro name),
>       would it not have been entirely equivalent to have used simply
>
>           FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
>
>       and placed that splash file in the accompanying directory files/poky/?
>       would these two approaches do the same thing? is there a preferred
>       way? that's the only example of that i've seen in all the layers i've
>       played with.
>

> Both would do the same thing, I'm personally of the opinion that the
> latter would be more consistent with how such things are normally
> done.

  i was ready to bet internal organs that they had the same effect,
but i've perused the OE code base enough that i trip over oddities and
i just really want to make sure i know what i'm looking at.

rday

p.s. if someone wants to submit a poky patch that changes that, feel
free. otherwise, i'll just use it in class as a "check out what
someone did *here*!" example. :-)

                        http://crashcourse.ca