[OE-core] PRSERVER is killing settop boxes

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Sat Jul 19 12:10:37 UTC 2014

For a hobby project (openpli.org) there are about a million boxes
running software built with OE.

I recently upgraded its core to the current master. What now happens is
that if a package like gcc has been changed, it will not only rebuild
everything, but it will also give all packages a new PR number. When a
box in the field now runs "opkg upgrade", it will get 286 "new" packages
and will try to squeeze them into its flash filesystem (even though only
about 5 of these packages actually have different content). This is
likely to kill the box, as the packages installed later on will take up
more room in the flash system than when they were initially installed
from scratch, and many models are using over 90% of the NAND flash space
available already.

Before the PRSERVER was made mandatory, we never had this problem.

Is there a way we can get the old behaviour of having to explicitly set
the PR of each package?
Or at least, distinguish between "the package itself was modified" and
"some library it depended upon was altered and we built a new one just
to make sure, but it'll likely work just fine with the previously built
one, so don't update the PR of the dependent packages".

--
Mike Looijmans