[OE-core] gpgme-config

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Wed Jul 23 13:51:23 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to build opkg with 'gpg' added to PACKAGECONFIG on the master branch
of OE. The gpg support for opkg is provided by gpgme, which uses 'gpgme-config'
to determine CFLAGS and LIBS when building. After recent changes, the
gpgme-config script is now just a dummy and doesn't do anything.

Upstream gpgme do not provide a pkg-config file and an upstream issue about this
raised in 2012 was resolved WONTFIX (https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue1414).

Our options are:

1) Add a .pc file to gpgme and maintain it within OE as it is very unlikely to
   be accepted upstream. Then I need to modify configure.ac in opkg to support
   both this pkg-config file (for OE) and the gpgme-config utility (for all
   other users of opkg).

2) Make an exception to the policy on -config scripts for gpgme.

I haven't really followed the discussion on why -config scripts needed to be
removed so I'll put this question to other OE developers. Would option (2) cause
more problems in the long run? If so, is it worth the extra effort to follow
option (1)?

I'll probably need someone to bounce a few autoconf and pkg-config questions off
if I implement option (1) as I'm not very familiar with either system.

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk