[OE-core] gpgme-config

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 14:49:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 01:51:23PM +0000, Paul Barker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build opkg with 'gpg' added to PACKAGECONFIG on the master branch
> of OE. The gpg support for opkg is provided by gpgme, which uses 'gpgme-config'
> to determine CFLAGS and LIBS when building. After recent changes, the
> gpgme-config script is now just a dummy and doesn't do anything.
>
> Upstream gpgme do not provide a pkg-config file and an upstream issue about this
> raised in 2012 was resolved WONTFIX (https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue1414).
>
> Our options are:
>
> 1) Add a .pc file to gpgme and maintain it within OE as it is very unlikely to
>    be accepted upstream. Then I need to modify configure.ac in opkg to support
>    both this pkg-config file (for OE) and the gpgme-config utility (for all
>    other users of opkg).

This comment in original issue:
The gpgme-config scripts goes along with the gpgme.m4 code.  A .pc file
won't be able to do what we can do with this combination.

Makes me think that if we implement .pc.in which generates correct .pc
from gpgme.m4 he won't be against accepting such patch upstream.

I think that biggest reason against -config scripts was that they aren't
cross-compile friendly (not sysroot-aware) so you either have whole path
to sysroot hardcoded in -config file and then have to mangle it for
target -dev package or vice versa and you need to prefix returned values
(like -I -L flags with sysroot).

> 2) Make an exception to the policy on -config scripts for gpgme.
>
> I haven't really followed the discussion on why -config scripts needed to be
> removed so I'll put this question to other OE developers. Would option (2) cause
> more problems in the long run? If so, is it worth the extra effort to follow
> option (1)?
>
> I'll probably need someone to bounce a few autoconf and pkg-config questions off
> if I implement option (1) as I'm not very familiar with either system.

I'm no expert in this as well, but there are some examples we can copy.