[OE-core] [oe] RFC: automatic -dbg splitting

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Jun 11 19:24:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com>
wrote:

> So yet again I was wrestling PACKAGES and FILES in an attempt to get
> everything in the right place, the latest complication being ptest and
> where they are in the PACKAGES chain making correct splitting tricky.
>
> Again I wondered why debug packages need explicit FILES, and did a
> quick hack as a proof of concept to put split debug objects and source
> code into PN-dbg automatically, instead of through explicit FILES.
> This hack is at best: it clears FILES_PN-dbg in bitbake.conf and as it
> executes do_package FILES is set for each file it handles.  As PN-dbg
> is at the beginning of PACKAGES it takes the right files before other
> packages, apart from when other =+ is used as in ptest... so my
> original reason for looking at this is still a problem.  This is in
> ross/debug in poky-contrib, fwiw.
>
> Before I look at this again and avoid FILES entirely, I should check
> that my assumptions are valid in the greater community.  My big
> assumptions here are that 1) every recipe has a single -dbg package,
> 2) every debug object belongs in that -dbg package, 3) only debug
> objects and sources belong in that -dbg package.
>
> I know there are recipes floating around that have multiple -dbg
> packages, but I can't see a great rationale for that.  I also can't
> see a reason why you'd want debug objects/sources outside of the -dbg
> package, or something that wasn't a debug object or source inside the
> -dbg package.

This seems like a step in the right direction to me.

I do think we should also pursue going a step further, adding the ability
to automatically emit a per-binary-package -dbg package, rather than a
single monolithic recipe-wide one. This would mean that adding dbg-pkgs to
an image is cleaner and doesn't result in installing every sub-package of
the recipe. This change you're proposing would make it easier to extend to
potentially do this, possibly optionally.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com