[OE-core] State of bitbake world, test-dependencies 2014-06-12

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 18:21:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 07:41:47PM +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> This time it was "incremental" and it's not really complete because
> there is still a lot of failing recipes in "world" (see my other "State"
> e-mails).
>
> Complete logs:
> http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/buildlogs/oe/world/log.dependencies.20140611_213746.log/

Philip asked me to write blog post about interpreting this report, here
is short version.

1) failed recipes, e.g.
> abiword:ERROR: Task 333 (meta-openembedded/meta-gnome/recipes-gnome/libgsf/libgsf_1.14.26.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

Means that abiword cannot be built in "minimal" build (starting with
empty sysroot), usually it's caused by missing dependency, but in cases
like this it's actually abiword's dependency libgsf which fails to build
and prevents to test abiword dependencies.

2) Found differences, e.g.
> xserver-xorg/xserver-xorg/latest lost dependency on  libunwind libxshmfence nettle
> xserver-xorg/xserver-xorg-xvfb/latest lost dependency on  libunwind nettle

it's in format
<recipe-name>/<package-name>/latest lost dependency on <list-of-autodetected-dependencies>

Basically it means that when test-dependencies.sh was building it in
"maximal" build (world already built in sysroot) xserver-xorg had
runtime dependency on libunwind, libxshmfence, nettle and these
dependencies didn't exist in "minimal" build - so it's not deterministic.

3) Found errors, e.g.
> ERROR: test-dependencies/1402573458/3_min/packages/*/gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad/gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-neonhttpsrc/latest doesn't exist

Recipes which are using do_split_packages to split some parts to
separate packages sometimes create less packages when some dependencies
are missing, in this case if you build gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad with
neon in sysroot it will create gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-neonhttpsrc
package, otherwise not - so it's not deterministic.

4) Failed world packages, e.g.
This isn't something specifically tested by test-dependencies, but e.g.
when
"openembedded-core/meta/recipes-multimedia/gstreamer/gst-ffmpeg_0.10.13.bb, do_configure"
task is failing in "bitbake world" it means that we won't be able to
detect other recipes which are autodetecting gst-ffmpeg presence (just
because "maximal" build cannot include gst-ffmpeg libraries).

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com