[OE-core] eglib is dead?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Jun 20 01:33:25 UTC 2014

On 6/19/14, 7:35 PM, Yi Qingliang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	this morning I have seen that:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTcyNDY
>
> 	it said that the "eglibc" is a "dead project", and most feature had
> been merged into "glibc" at version 2.19.
>
> 	so maybe we should drop "eglibc", and switch back to "glibc"?

eglibc and glibc have been in sync since the beginning.  The only remaining
difference between glibc and eglibc is the configurable libc interface.
(Ability to change the configuration.)  Last time we discussed this, we were
still trying to determine if we (OE) were going to try to keep that
configuration active, or if were were going to go to a different libc for 'tiny'
systems.

I don't believe a final decision has been made, but one way or another we will
be moving to 'glibc' in the future.

My understanding is that eglibc 2.19 is still 'alive' and maintained, but will
be the last version.

--Mark