[OE-core] complex versioning scenario

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 18:00:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch-fe.de> wrote:
> We've a complex versioning scenario here which leads me to my limits. :(
>
> There are two recipes. One for a shared library and one for an application using this library.
>
> Both use GNU autotools (so they have internal version information). For continuous integration purposes both use AUTOREV.
>
> At the moment the recipes look like this:
>

> ------------ libfoo_git.bb -------------
> PR = "r7"
> PE = "2"
> SRCREV="${AUTOREV}"
> PV = "gitr${SRCPV}"
>

> ------------ app_git.bb ----------------
> DEPENDS = "... libfoo ..."
> PR = "r10"
> PE = "1"
> SRCREV="${AUTOREV}"
> PV = "gitr${SRCPV}"
>

> Now we have the following problem. libfoo has some incompatible changes in its interface (a new internal major version).

This is the key question here. what is this new interface doing, is it
breaking any API ?
if not then why bother if it does then use gnu versioning scheme and
create versioned symbols
for this interface and you can simplify the problem outside the build
system and your library
remains compatible with older app too.