[OE-core] complex versioning scenario

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Mar 25 10:40:06 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 11:31 +0100, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> On 24.03.2014 16:15, Martin Jansa wrote:
> Thanx, this was the decisive hint.
>
> I've increased the version in the SONAME header of the library and the result is a libfoo1 package. :)
>
> But now i hit the next problem. The following rootfs stage results in this error:
>
> ---------------> snip <-----------------
> | Collected errors:
> |  * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for app:
> |  *    libfoo0 (>= gitr101+somehash) *
> ---------------> snap <-----------------
>
> Should the new build of libfoo1 trigger a new compile of all packages with DEPENDS containing libfoo?

In theory, yes and in practise, bitbake does actually do this.
Unfortunately autotools sometimes do not rebuild things when it should.
This is why I've been promoting the B != S patch set which forces things
to rebuild in scenarios like this and removes the issue from autotools
and lets us handle it ourselves.

So my recommendation would be to opt in to that include file and this
should help errors like this.

The change I'd love to commit is:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=rpurdie/t2&id=aedf7d207190f18466e82cbc9b3d49b19b3f376f

but I think its now too late to do this by default in 1.6.