[OE-core] Features in Yocto Project 1.7

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Mar 25 15:14:26 UTC 2014

On 3/25/14, 7:22 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> As development on 1.6 finishes up, its time to think about what we
>> should be doing in the 1.7 cycle.
>>
>> I think from my perspective, in 1.7 I'd like to see us looking at
>> "Developer Workflow". Its a generic topic which I think covered multiple
>> areas (in no particular order):
>>
>> * the ADT/SDK and how it intergrates into the rest of the system
>> * toaster
>> * python devshell
>> * exteralsrc.bbclass
>> * memory resident bitbake
>> * how a standalone app developer might build an image
>> * locked sstate
>>
>> and probably more I'm forgetting.
>>
>> If anyone does have things they plan to work on, or ideas for things
>> that should be worked on, please do file enhancement requests in the
>> bugzilla:
>
> I'd like to cover
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2014-February/089287.html
> but this got no replies. So I am unsure people think it is an
> important thing or not.

I think what you have is something we need to strongly consider to YP 1.7.  I
advantages to supporting both the "toolchain" and populate_sdk methods for the
SDK.  But in the end, I think the populate_sdk method should be the default for
normal users.  And the 'toolchain' approach used for people who are producing
incredibly targeted application SDKs.

I don't have much to add to the QT/QTe side, simply because I'm not familiar
with all of the issues, but in general this should help make it easier for users
to create SDKs.. hopefully use them with the eclipse environment(s) and produce
working software.

I like the ability also to enhance the environment files with plug-ins via a
sourced '.d' directory.  This would resolve a lot of the hacky patches I've had
to make in the past.

--Mark