[OE-core] Quality of meta-oe metadata

Trevor Woerner trevor.woerner at linaro.org
Sun Mar 30 05:33:47 UTC 2014

Hello Martin,

Excellent, excellent post!

On 03/29/14 21:31, Martin Jansa wrote:
> 2) There are a lot of changes and component upgrades in oe-core which
>    sometimes aren't very straight-forward to adapt to and issues stay in
>    meta-oe for months.

Critical bugfixes aside, I think the current system of unrestrained,
perpetual package bumps is an issue. If dylan uses version 1 of package
XYZ and dora uses version 5, is there any need for the 3 intervening
package bumps which occurred between the release of dylan and dora?

If nothing else, these "irrelevant updates" increase the chance of
causing problems ;-)

> 3) OE releases work great and don't invalidate sstate signatures so often, so my
>    feeling is that most developers and projects are just using releases and
>    less and less people do CI.

Would users prefer a better-tested more-likely-to-work release
containing package versions which were several months old, or is staying
on the bleeding edge more important? There is always exponentially more
work/cost required to be an early adopter.