[OE-core] My thoughts on the future of OE?

Stewart, David C david.c.stewart at intel.com
Thu May 1 17:44:22 UTC 2014

davest throws in his two cents below...

On 5/1/14, 10:02 AM, "Richard Purdie" <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org>
wrote:

>I was asked what I thought were things that needed discussion at OEDAM.
>Sadly I won't be there but I thought it might help to write down my
>thoughts in a few areas.
>
>Developer Workflow
>------------------
>
>Firstly, I think the big piece we need to address as a project is
>"developer workflow" as this is where people are struggling using it.
>
>Unfortunately "developer workflow" means different things to different
>people? Which one do I mean then? I actually mean all of them. As some
>examples:

>* A kernel developer wanting to rebuild a kernel
>  [on/off target, with the ADT/SDK or a recipe]
>* A kernel developer wanting to build a kernel module
>  [on/off target, with the ADT/SDK or a recipe]
>* An application developer wanting to build a single App
>  [on/off target, with the ADT/SDK or a recipe]
>* An application developer wanting to (re)build a library, linking an
>  App to it
>  [on/off target, with the ADT/SDK or a recipe]
>* A user wanting to rebuild an image with a package added
>  [on and off target - feeds or a build]
>* A user wanting to rebuild an image with more advanced changes
>
>The user may want to skip the image creation step and deploy data
>straight onto an existing running target using rsync.
>
>Their application/kernel may be in an external directory already under
>SCM control.
>
>There are requests for "real time" viewing of the build logs
>
>There are requests for the python devshell to better be able to poke
>around the datastore
>
>There are requests for a shell like environment with commands
>interacting with a memory resident bitbake.
>
>In a team environment how should patch review work? Which tools would we
>recommend to help people? Where does and autobuilder fit into this?
>Gerrit? How to handle bugs/regressions/features?
>
>Also, when something fails, how do they get help and fix it? My dream
>here is an error reporting server and over time, we can attach "fixes"
>to those failures showing people how to potentially fix their problems.

If I were managing engineers creating an embedded device (which I'm not),
and let's say I had a team of 10 engineers working on some application /
middleware / service which goes into a line of devices, I might add:

* If I need to add a recipe to my standard image builds or patch one, how
do I communicate that fact to the maintainer of my product's metadata?

* If a developer is ready to merge their code with the device's master
branch, how can this trigger an automated rebuild?

I have a feeling that OE today is well suited for a single developer or a
really small team, but it doesn't scale up particularly well to larger
teams. At least, not without a lot of work. Is there anything we can do to
help that?