[OE-core] My thoughts on the future of OE?

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Fri May 2 14:23:17 UTC 2014

On 02/05/14 14:47, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 2 May 2014 14:00, Mike Looijmans <mike.looijmans at topic.nl> wrote:
>> Just about fifteen minutes ago I was asked the question of "Yay, I could
>> build a complete image for the board from scratch. Now how do I create and
>> run a HelloWorld application on it?"
>
> Depending on context simply adding the "tools-sdk dev-pkgs"
> IMAGE_FEATURES is sufficient to build applications on the target, as
> long as it's for the hello world or iterative development approaches.
> Obviously a recipe would need to be written at some point but getting
> a toolchain in the image for development on the target is trivial.
>
> Ross

Or generating and installing the SDK, then develop -> cross compile ->
copy to target -> run -> rinse and repeat.

Then when working, update your applications recipe to point to the new
revision and have a "clean" production image pop out.

The pain points with this come when you want to use new libraries etc
and you have to do a rootfs + sdk rebuild and upgrade but in reality
these are few and far between.

  Jack Mitchell (jack at embed.me.uk)
  Embedded Systems Engineer
  Cambridgeshire, UK