[OE-core] Upgrade to a package with all its dependency without network

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Wed May 7 11:31:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 09:54:41AM +0200, Marco wrote:
> Il 05/05/2014 17:29, Paul Barker ha scritto:
> >On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 04:16:46PM +0200, Marco wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>I need to be able to upgrade to a package with all its dependency chain on a
> >>target system that does not have access to the network.
> >>
> >>I'm trying to understand what may be the best and also the simplest
> >>solution.
> >>Perhaps there is already this functionality in OE/Yocto?
> >>
> >>I thought to implement a new opkg feture so that I can to generate the list
> >>of dependencies of a package and then extract the packages from OE/Yocto
> >>using a script or an application.
> >
> >opkg v0.2.x (the latest release series) doesn't really support this behaviour
> >very well. The caching logic just doesn't work. For example, I have a board
> >connected at the minute with a feed configured so I tried this:
> >
> >     opkg install --download-only ncurses-terminfo
> >     ifdown eth0
> >     opkg install ncurses-terminfo
> >
> >You'd hope that would pick up the package files from the cache but it doesn't.
> >So even if you put the files there yourself, you may no have a simple way to
> >install them.
> >
> >An interim solution I can see is to put all the packages you want in one
> >directory then run 'opkg-make-index' from opkg-utils on that directory so that
> >it is a complete package feed. Then add that as a source in
> >/etc/opkg/base-feeds.conf.
> >

> Hi Paul,
> thank you for answering.
>
> This is exactly the main problem, how to extract all the packages I (or I
> should say the package itself) want, in one directory.
> Would be possible to extend opkg with this feature?

Yes, a few people have asked for some method of supporting this use-case so we
definitely want to make it work. Now may not be the best time to work on it as
the package download code in opkg master is currently in flux and the current
work needs finishing. I'm hoping to finish tidying this up soon and then there
will be a stable base on which to add this feature.

I'd suggest filing an enhancement request at
https://code.google.com/p/opkg/issues/.

If you'd like to discuss the details of how this could be implemented within
opkg or contribute patches yourself then that's best discussed on the opkg
mailing list at opkg-devel at googlegroups.com.

Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk